Wednesday, January 6, 2010

*So It Starts...*

I start my culinary adventure tomorrow. Tomorrow I have to attend a mandatory all day orientation. I get to meet my fellow classmates who are all eager to show off their culinary expertise and impress with their language and technique. I get to meet my professors who are all qualified and accomplished chefs on their own right. I get to explore my campus where I will forced to test my culinary wits for the next 2 and a 1/2 years. And I am excited, nervous, and scared as heck. Excited because this is that new chapter that everyone wishes for...a new chance to experience something. Nervous because I kept telling myself that I would never go back to school. And scared because what if I am not as good as I think I am. All these feelings keep swirling in my head while every so often one makes it self present like something short of a throbbing headache.

I guess I just have to continue do what I'm doing and do what I know how to do...and that is to make other people happy; recently that has been with food.

This is what I had for dinner tonight...


Watching "Food Network" every night and reading through my books I learned how to cook the perfect medium rare steak. I usually spoil myself and buy some filet mignon, but this time I opted not to and to rely on my cooking techniques. Get it to room temperature, mean while heating a large skillet. Coat the steak with EVOO, crushed pepper, and salt and pan fry both sides for 4 minutes to get a nice brown coating. Finish it off in a 450 degree oven for 4-5 more minutes for a rare-medium rare perfection. Let sit for 10 minutes. ***Always let your steak sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the juices to stay with the steak. If you cut into the steak too early the juices will escape and their goes the goodness.***



This is the red wine sauce that I accompanied with my steak. Using the same skillet that has the steak drippings, fry some shallots or white onion for 2-3 minutes. Pour in 3/4 c of your favorite red wine and a 1/4 c chicken broth. Bring to boil and cook for 2 more minutes to allow the onions to flavor the sauce. Remove from heat and add 3-4 tablespoons of COLD butter, slice-by-slice to thicken up the sauce. Serve over steak and enjoy.



I love my starches, so I accompanied the dish with some roasted potatoes. Cube up some potatoes and drizzle with EVOO, pepper, and salt. I also added some chicken broth just for some extra flavor. Insert it into a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. When that is done, add it minced or crushed garlic and your favorite herbs (dill, rosemary, oregano, etc) and leave for 15 more minutes. At the end I like to add parsley.


While I guess the feelings that I am feeling are completely normal for anyone undertaking something new, if my dinner tonight showed any indication to my culinary success, then I know I have nothing to worry about.

:)

HAPPY COOKING!

2 comments:

  1. hi Kelson! Good luck today! I hope orientation is going well.

    I love your blog (and its TITLE!) and I just wanted to let you know that your red wine sauce sounds so yummy, I am going to make the same meal you just described this weekend! NOMNOMNOM

    Miss and Love you! x Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff on your blog. Keep the recipes and tips coming. Maybe one day I will be the one in the kitchen instead of Dad!!

    ReplyDelete