Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dr. Seuss Red Velvet Cupcakes and Thin Mint Cheesecake Cupcakes

So I know it's been a while but March has taken a lot of my time. But have no fear, I have been practicing my mad culinary skillz. :)

Here are some cupcakes that I made for my kids at work. First up are my Thin Mint Cheesecake Cupcakes that I made for Saint Patrick's Day.

I took Martha Stewart's Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes from her cupcake book and substituted Girl Scout' Thin Mint Cookies for Oreos. Ah-MAY-zing. The kids were split, some loved it while others were thrown off by the cheesecake consistency.

Next up are my Dr. Seuss themed Red Velvet Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting.

This is what the batter looked like. Yes, it is very pink because I ran out of red food coloring. While it called for the an entire bottle's worth of food coloring, I was only able to get out 7-8 drops. It's ok, its only for the color and it was covered by the frosting, which, if I may say so myself, was delicious. Here is what the finish product looked like.

They were much more of a hit with my kids.



I also used a piping bag for my first time. I piped the red and cream buttercream on the cupcakes using a star tip and regular tip. It was definitely a challenge to make it smooth and perfect. I guess I have to practice to improve my art...no complaints here!

Up next I am planning on making some S'more cupcakes inspired by another baking friend. But right now I got some Marshmallow Hazelnut brownies in the oven.

Happy Baking :)



1 comment:

  1. Nice piping work on the Dr. Seuss cupcakes!!!

    ReplyDelete