Tuesday, December 29, 2009

OO vs. EVOO

I recently learned what the difference was between Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

EVOO is oil that comes straight from the olive fruit and it is in its purest form (hence the extra virgin). Since it is "extra virgin" the taste is far more superior than light olive oil or plan olive oil. Therefor, it should be used to accentuate dishes as a dressing (like in my Shrimp and Mango ceviche)

Regular Olive Oil is refined and blended from EVOO and goes through a chemical process. Therefor, it losses some of its taste and should be used mainly as a fat to coat pans when frying.

You can basically follow this rule..."EVOO for cold, Olive Oil for hot"

I hope I educated some of you today. I used to use EVOO in everything from pan frying to accentuating dishes...now I know better.

Happy Cooking!


2 comments: